Sunday, May 23, 2010

Welcome, says the MBA

Readers of this blog would know that I am about to embark on a new phase in my life. I need not stress much on how out-of-the-box I have been in making my career choices. Hailing from that ubiquitous SIMCF (South Indian Middle Class Family), I tried to gain some expertise in a musical instrument which nearly ended up costing me my admission; studied hard in school; went to engineering college; got placed in a leading MNC, and am now heading to a B-School. Innovative indeed!

I was headed to a meet organised by this B-School bringing together all alumni and students currently based out of Mumbai. The venue was a posh multi-star hotel near the International Airport. As is the case with most such meets where you are not likely to be knowing more than two individuals beforehand and where you are likely to be using all your energy in doing an "Oh My God! Where have you been all these years?" when coming across an acquaintance from school, college, neighbourhood, street, city or state by chance, the crowd resembled one you would find at a funeral.

Sensing the eerie silence, the 'alumni' did its bit by going through a perfunctory round of introductions in which nobody seemed one bit interested. I always get the jitters before such introductions for you are invariably asked to do one of the following: a)sing b)dance c) crack a joke d) Answer some weird question e) Talk of your love/crush/would-be crush/could-be crush. Needless to say, I am poor at a), b) and e) and only average at c) and I couldn't thank my lucky stars enough when all I was subject to was d).

And then the "party" began. Now it needs little emphasis that there is little space at such parties for a person like me who has lived one heck of a boring life so far by sticking to vegetarian solid and non-alcoholic liquid. My interest in such events is limited to careful observation so that it gives me sufficient content for a blog post like this which in turn helps me with my Google Talk status message for a week. It has always intrigued me how any person in his/her senses is able to hold on to a peg of vodka for well over an hour without finishing it. In the best interest of etiquette, I gulped a litre of fruit juice and another couple of litres of mineral water. However, my hands started complaining from having to hold on to empty glasses/bottles and I decided that etiquette could go to bed for the day.

Besides the observation part, I also take great interest in whatever little vegetarian food that is on offer. It always fascinates me how the proportion of non-meat starters on offer decreases exponentially with time so much so that you are forced to barge into the kitchen to enquire whether there was any impending vegetable crisis. Frustrated at having to wait for so long, I dived into the main course and after eating to the content of my stomach, had water out of necessity for the first time.

The last bit of such parties is the one I enjoy the most. I am not talking about the desserts which were so sumptuous that I am skipping both breakfast and lunch today. Everybody is so thoroughly sloshed that they start to rail against the system. When you are inebriated, you seem to get one of these 'Eureka' moments when you realise that you have lived a life of very little substance and instruct all and sundry not to repeat the mistakes you have committed. One common rant was against three particular institutes known to have a canny resemblance with three consecutive letters of the English alphabet.

So I came back with the usual gyaan on networking, studies and stuff. From my side, I am thoroughly looking back to getting back to hostel life which I believe is the greatest education that you can receive in life in a thoroughly mesmerising campus (I have been there before) getting back to doing all that I enjoy doing. I have never looked forward to a break so much so far.

20 comments:

anindya@iitkgp said...

Comments, as I mean them to be :

1) Leading MNC - one with a 'great culture'

2)'Three institutes with canny resemblance to three consecutive letters of the English alphabet' - I wonder, whether in the course of say 5 or 10 years - people rant more about their time at the Engg. Coll. or the B-School - I wonder what is a more enriching experience - you'll tell me in two years ..

3)How do you 'look back to get back to Hostel life' - you should be looking forward to it, hai na ??

4) Neat post - very neat indeed !!

Yayaver said...

Murali, you are becoming delicate in your wisdom words. "To get one of these 'Eureka' moments when you realise that you have lived a life of very little substance and instruct all and sundry not to repeat the mistakes you have committed. " This line was quite impressive and those moments reminds us of our circular monotonous life in ours dream jobs. :)

Hoping that you will have great fun at 'K' with Kapil [:P] and more time to publish your observation to us. Nice read man...

Vikalp said...

Did you ever imagine that you would go back there to study?!

I yearn for more of those sleeping-on-the-floor moments! Wish I can make it again this time..and also hope that there will soon be one more similar moment!

Cheers Mate!

P.S. Apologies to those who don't understand the above. Sign language indeed.

jan said...

Thoroughly enjoyed this post.
"My interest in such events is limited to careful observation so that it gives me sufficient content for a blog post like this which in turn helps me with my Google Talk status message for a week."
LOL!
Made for a very entertaining read.
These parties are downright frivolous. Drinks and non-veg are the worst forms of fun, acc to me, and I will never shy away from cursing it. Often it is nothing but the fear of becoming a social outcast that forces folks to indulge in these oxytocin kicks. To hell with them. :)

Kapil said...

Good work buddy.. You are indeed choosing your words well (and carefully)... like a good manager.. ;)

Anonymous said...

Great Varun !
Nice one... We know you are very good at using the appropriate English word, and this is really one of masterclass. Hope Talha will read this :) blog to and will get amazed once again.

Anonymous said...

Great Varun !
Nice one... We know you are very good at using the appropriate English word, and this is really one of masterclass. Hope Talha will read this :) blog to and will get amazed once again.

Amit Phatak said...

Great Varun !
Nice one... We know you are very good at using the appropriate English word, and this is really one of masterclass. Hope Talha will read this :) blog to and will get amazed once again.

---- by the way, I was that anonymous... posted the comment multiple times :D

Aragorn said...

abe that barging into kitchen sounded just like you! Major LOL !! .. I bet you almost did it :D
nd smooth indeed!

Aragorn said...

nd nice comment from saand! .. 'like a good manager' .. jaise ki he made some careful observation or something :P

amolmecy said...

best of luck for ur future..log comments mein bhi blog likhte hain...india shining.......:)

Varun Murali said...

@Roy - I think B-School will win hands down. At least we never did that with E-School before getting there. (Bhai error ke liye maafi)

@Rai- I am seriously looking forward to hostel life again

@Viks- Yaar public forum hai.....Wannabe suitors dekh rahe hai (Welcome any time though)

@Jan/Feb - Thanks.Try replacing Uma Bharti in the BJP.

Anonymous said...

http://parentcoachplan.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=13529
http://open.evworld.com/pg/profile/alva9kaufman
http://www.strengtheningfamiliesillinois.org/index.php/member/22781/
http://www.2bo4.com/index.php/member/24269/
http://www.signaturebar.com/forums/member.php?u=44725

Anonymous said...

I am new here, glad to join you.

Anonymous said...

Sire denotative screen graphics looking for practically any gubbins like a bat out of hell with Adobe Fireworks CS5 software. Diagram websites, purchaser interfaces, or precious media applications using both vector and bitmap tools. Suggestion assets from Adobe Photoshop or Illustrator software and export to HTML and CSS, Adobe Flash Catalyst software, or the Adobe STYLE runtime. Optimize incontrovertible allusion with the bustle's unrivalled curtain graphics software.
baselinesoft.com/software/adobe-fireworks-cs5.html

Anonymous said...

I'm just going to post my hello to this. My friends call me James. I am a studying I'm going to exploring more about this forum adidasaddict.blogspot.com [img]http://downloadpushbuttonmoney.com/download-push-button-money.gif[/img]

Anonymous said...

INSERT

Anonymous said...

Hello! , I am new to these parts. Thought I'd say hi.

See ya! :) and Thanks

(sorry if this is the wrong place to put this post)

Anonymous said...

hi

i am new here

just wana say hi to all

DxSEO

Anonymous said...

I wanted to draft you a little word in order to thank you once again with the nice principles you've discussed above. It is simply wonderfully generous with people like you to present publicly what exactly a few individuals would have sold as an electronic book in making some bucks for their own end, chiefly considering the fact that you might well have tried it in case you decided. Those basics likewise served like a easy way to be certain that someone else have the identical dreams much like my very own to see very much more with regard to this condition. I'm sure there are some more pleasurable times in the future for individuals that go through your forum.